These Easy Christmas Poke Cake Recipes are just the thing to make when going to a holiday party. Mostly made with boxed cake mix and a few simple ingredients it’s sure to be a crowd favorite.
Christmas Poke Cake Recipes
You’ve been invited to a Christmas Eve party and you want to bring the perfect dessert. During this crazy busy time of year you need something simple.
When it comes to easy cake recipes, poke cakes are where it’s at. The options are endless with so many variations from colorful cake to strawberry poke cake to traditional poke cake.
My all time favorite is the Rich Chocolate Peppermint Cake.
Kitchen Staples to Keep on Hand for Making Poke Cake
Poke cake is easy to make during the Christmas holiday season if you keep your kitchen stocked with these staples. These are some suggestions so that you can whip something up in a pinch.
Feel free to add your own ideas and ingredients.
- Box Mix such as Red Velvet Cake Mix
- Cool Whip
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Cheesecake Pudding
- Cold Milk
- Hot Fudge Sundae Sauce
- Chocolate Pudding Mix
- French Vanilla Pudding
- White Chocolate Curls
- Sweet Treats of Your Choice
- White Chocolate Chips
- Vegetable Oil
- Heavy Cream
Kitchen Tools for Making Poke Cake
It’s good to have these kitchen tools on hand when doing any kind of baking.
- Electric Mixer
- Small Bowl
- Medium Bowl
- Large Bowl
- Large Fork
How to Make Christmas Poke Cake
Each poke cake recipe will vary but these are the basic steps. Making a poke cake would be so much fun for the kids to get involved with. There’s plenty for little hands to do to help.
- Start with a Delicious Cake Recipe: You can make one from scratch or use a boxed cake mix. After it comes out of the oven, while it’s still warm, poke holes. You will use the handle of a wooden spoon to do this. Make the holes in roughly one inch intervals. Set aside to cool.
- Fill the Holes: Prepare instant pudding or a gelatin mixture according to package instructions and pour over the top of the cake to fill the holes. Use a spatula to smooth it over making sure the whole cake is covered.
- Chill the Cake: Set the cake in the fridge to chill for about 4 hours.
- The Topping: This is where the fun really begins and should be done after the cake is cooled. Grab your Cool Whip and stir in dry pudding mix, red color, dry gelatin mix, peppermint extract or anything you want to use to flavor and color it. Put a nice thick layer on top and finish it off with your favorite Christmas sprinkles, chocolate curls or crushed candy canes.
Are you ready to check out all the amazing holiday poke cake recipes? Me too!
WHAT CAN I USE TO POKE HOLES IN A CAKE?
To poke the holes in a Poke Cake you can use the end of a wooden spoon or a very wide straw. Be sure to poke all the way down until you hit the pan.
DO POKE CAKES NEED TO BE REFRIGERATED?
As a rule of thumb, poke cakes should be refrigerated until ready to serve. If there are leftovers, they should be refrigerated also.