For the past 7 weeks I’ve been on my most recent weight loss journey. I say most recent because I’ve struggled with my weight my entire life and I feel like I am ALWAYS on a weight loss journey. But this time around I really feel like this is “the one”. I’ve lost 30 pounds since January 3. I finally feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel. I keep meaning to set aside a time to post MY story but it’s something that I really struggle with. To lay it all out there is to be completely vulnerable and I just don’t think I’m ready yet. Soon though. I promise. In the meantime, I wanted to share with you this super easy low fat St. Patrick’s Day dessert. The best part about it is that it’s only 3 ingredients. Well, 4 if you count the food coloring.
1 box of yellow (or white) cake mix
1 can of Diet Sprite
1 container of fat free whipped topping
green food coloring
- Take your cake mix and your can of Diet Sprite and stir together. Add green food coloring until you get the shade of green that you are looking for. I used yellow cake mix and I felt like I used quite a bit of food coloring to get it to the green shade that I wanted. I’m thinking using white cake mix might take less food coloring but don’t quote me on that! I haven’t tried it so I’m not sure. NOTE: The cake mix and the diet soda are the ONLY 2 ingredients you’ll need to bake the cake. You will NOT need the water, eggs or oil that the package instructions call for.
- Bake your cake according to the package instructions.
- Once cooled, add a small layer of cake to the bottom of a mason jar.
- Spoon your whipped topping into a pastry bag (or a zip lock back if you don’t have a pastry bag), cut a hole in the bottom (or the corner of the bag) and pipe your whipped topping right in the jar on top of the cake.
- Repeat the cake and whipped topping steps until you reach the top. Finish it off by piping a dollop of whipped topping onto the top of your jar. Sprinkle with green sugar sprinkles. (optional)
I don’t have the exact fat or calorie content but it’s not much. Its really only whats in the dry cake mix plus the whipped topping which is really low in calories.