Welcome to the first of many in our series, Real Women of Blogger County!
The purpose of this series is to SQUASH the notion that DIY bloggers have it all together. We post our very best on our blogs and you only get to see the beauty shots of our projects. Well, that’s about to change! Every Saturday (I know today is Sunday but I was double booked this week.) from now through April I will be giving you the inside look at what really goes on behind the scenes in our everyday lives. Ahem, what you might see if you were to pop by unannounced! You won’t see perfectly edited photos in this series. This series is about KEEPIN’ IT REAL!
I love to create things that are simple and easy and quick. Things that most everyone can create. I am also a stay at home mom to these 5 young kids. And with that comes a lot of chaos.
I have had people call me super mom or ask me how I do all the things that I do. Well I am far from being a super mom, I am just trying to get through the days and it just happens that crafts and my blog is what keeps me going. I haven’t gone a day for at least two months without some kind of disaster happening with my kids.To be completely honest, I am actually struggling a lot right now. For the past year I have been suffering from depression. Not too serious that I have gotten medical attention, but enough that I haven’t been happy for quite some time. I tend to be a negative person, so I try hard not to show that side of me on my blog because I don’t want people to run away….
One day I had a huge day of fails. Like I said, I am far from being a super mom. This is the current state of my living room. It usually looks like this 95% of the time. The other 5% is when someone is coming over and I quickly clean and hide things in a closet.
Whenever I decide to try to create something, two of my kids like to do some crazy things. This week has been a doozy for them. While I was trying to finish up the stockings I came upstairs and I found them filling the play kitchen sink with water. The day before that they dumped a big cooler filled with water all over the bedroom. And yesterday as I was trying to work on my Christmas newsletter they had gotten into my nail polish that was on the top shelf of my closet.The newsletter was a mess in itself, the computer froze before I could save and then I ran out of ink. It wouldn’t have been a huge deal if I lived in a city and I could just run to the store to buy more but no, I live 2 hours away from Walmart so I can’t just go and get things like that.
On Monday I got a call to see if I could bring something for the kids’ school party. They wanted it to be something that we could put into a little treat bag and they suggested that it be homemade. I really wanted to make string cheese into snowmen but our little grocery store doesn’t sell string cheese, so I thought cookies would be fun and fine. Then I remember that I suck at baking and my cookies never come out…..
I thought maybe I could make it look like square cookie bars. Not so much. So I’m going with plan B… store bought cookies.
Right after the cookie incident I wanted a second to myself and I sent my kids into my room to watch tv, so I could sit and relax. Then I heard a crash. My kids like to sit on my head board and jump off onto my bed. This time they knocked off the K frame. Still not sure if it’s broken or not, its stuck under my bed.
Sadly that isn’t all that happened that day, it just happens to be the things that I took pictures of. When my kids act out like this, I feel like a failure as a parent. The sad thing is that yesterday I seriously tried to sit down and do things with them. I had them help me make the cookies. I had them help me wrap presents. I had them help me with the Christmas newsletters. And still it isn’t good enough….
And that is a typical day for me.
Thanks for having me here today! Before I go, I do want to share just a little sample of what I blog about: