Right now my girls share a room and it’s not for the lack of bedrooms. We live in a cape and we spend all of our time on the main floor and there are 2 bedrooms down there. We also have 2 bedrooms upstairs but since Grace still comes into my room and visits me every night
interrupts my sleep and causes me grief I worry about her on the steps so for now Em and “G” are sharing a room.
Let me just tell you, this room has been through a lot in the last 6 and a half years. It looked so cute when Em was a baby……….until she got old enough and decided she’d scribble on the walls with crayon. Then along comes Gracie and we repainted and it looked decent. Until………Gracie got a bit bigger and decided it was her own personal trashing grounds. Gone were the custom curtains my mom had made. Gone were the shades. Gone was any kind of order. Knowing that this room needs a major overhall, I had been putting off doing anything to it. But……..my frustration with the white trashness of it all, got the better of me and I decided to spruce it up this past weekend. And much to my surprise, it did not cost me much and it came out sooooo cute. It still needs a new paint job and Grace still needs a big girl bed but for now, I can walk into it, smile and admire.
Here are some before pictures:
Ahh yes. Here we have no curtains, only one shade and a horrid beach towel hanging in the window. Lovely!
This is what the closet door looked like after I removed the stickers and pictures my daughter had put up for decoration.
And this is the bare walls that needed some life. What’s not in this picture is the tons of tiny little stickers that Emilee had stuck to her headboard and the nail polish she had smeared on it. Got that off and it made a huge difference.
Pretty nasty huh? Don’t judge me! I’m not always white trash! lol
Here’s the after…….with a breakdown of how much I spent:
Here are new shades (yay – we have 2 now!) and new curtains. Let me just tell you, I had no idea how hard it would be to just find valance curtains for this room. I kind of went all over and finally settled on a set of pillow cases that I just modified and they came out great. All I did was rip the seam long ways, cut the top part long ways and opened it up. I then hemmed the bottom and sewed a section up to to put the curtain rod though. So easy. 🙂 The shades and curtain rods were cheap, a few dollars each and the pillow cases (curtains) were $15 at Target.
At first I just picked up those pink flowers you see at Hobby Lobby on clearance for $3.40 and hung them up on the wall. Then I remembered this decal set I saw at Target for $14.99 and went back and picked that up. It totally livened up the whole room and both of my girls had fun helping me put them up (as much as I would let them……..I’m a control freak!).
I picked up this little “Princess” hook/rack at Hobby Lobby for $5 and it fit perfect on the closet door. Now they have a place to hang up their dress up clothes and their back packs when school starts back up.
I didn’t get a before picture of this dresser but imagine it with stickers all over the mirror. Oh yes, Emilee was at it again with the stickers! Behind the tissue paper flowers that I made (soooo easy to do. I’ve seen people refer to them as Martha Stewart flowers but I remember making small versions of these as a kid using regular tissues so………I’ll leave it at that!) is a big patch of spackle that needs to be painted. When we had our bathroom renovated last year the contractor broke through the wall into our girls room while doing the demolition and although it’s been patched up, we’ve yet to paint it. Luckily, these flowers do a great job of covering it up until we give the room another major overhaul. The little polka dot buckets were $1.49 each at Hobby Lobby.
So overall, I think this little project ran me a total of about $60-$70 and I couldn’t be happier. I will be linking up to my favorite linky parties this week. 🙂