DIY Letterpress Monogram – Guest Post

BLOGIVERSARY_BANNER_GUESTPOST
Michele from The Scrap Shoppe is here today sharing her tutorial on a DIY Letterpress Stamp. Please stop by her blog and say “Hello!”.

***

And I’m always trying to think up new creative ways to make more to add to my decor!
This is my latest inspiration:

Metal Printer's Type - Alphabet 8 with Pedestal
source
I present you with the DIY Letterpress Stamp!



The materials needed to make your own oversized letterpress stamp are pretty basic.
I used a large paper mache monogram letter and a couple of pieces of wood cut about a 1/4″ larger than the letter.

Just stacking everything up you can see what I’m going for with these three pieces.
Now to start putting everything together!

The two pieces of wood were glued together then wood putty was used to seal the cracks between the two pieces. It was then sanded and primed. You can see that you can not even tell that this block is more than one piece of wood!

I mixed some brown, black, and dark green acrylic paint to make a grayish brown color and painted the wood block. With the primer, it only took 2 coats of paint for good coverage.

I painted the M the same color as the block. Then I mixed some brown, black, and gold acrylic paint and brushed it lightly over the top of the M, making sure not to give it good coverage. Then I quickly wiped much of the paint back off.

I think that extra lighter coat of paint on top gives the letter a “used” feel like it really was used as a stamp! And it helps add that metallic touch of an old letterpress stamp.

Once everything was painted and dry it was time to glue my monogram to my wood block.
I used my trusty Beacon’s 3-in-1 adhesive.
This stuff is like a hot glue gun in a bottle.
All the adhesive power, none of the burns!

I made sure I had my 1/4″ edge all the way around my new “stamp” as I glued the letter down.

Although the letter was made of paper mache, it still made the front of the stamp a little forward heavy when it was standing upright. And with that 1/4″ gap on the bottom of the stamp, it had a tendency to tilt slightly forward. To remedy that I added a small bit of that material you put under your rugs so they don’t move around. Then I painted it black so as not to be noticed.


Its amazing the transformation paint can have!

Photobucket


Photobucket 


share my button Photobucket

Due to the amount of content that is used without permission and proper credit, I am no longer allowing a full RSS feed. I value each and every reader so I hope you will click through and come visit!

XOXO
Diana
www.thegirlcreative.com

Similar Posts

5 Comments

  1. Happy Blogiversary! Your blog is so pretty and clean 🙂 Michele is awesome! LOVE her and her blog…and of course all of her crafty ideas 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.